Echo Chamber Springs Leak, Fans Fray and 1-18-08/Cloverfield Universe Endures a Second Extinction

Despite the addition of Tagruato and recent updates of 1-18-08.com, jamieandteddy.com and Slusho! (one of which being the promise of a contest), not to mention all the distribution email responses, many fans are beginning to show signs of stress.

First there's the drop-off of formerly dedicated and regularly updated 1-18-08/Cloverfield blogs. Back in July dozens upon dozens of 1-18-08/Cloverfield blogs sprung up. I sifted through all of them and selected those that proved committed for inclusion in the Blogroll. Later, I reviewed them again and added enthusiastic latecomers to the Blogroll. But my review over this past weekend of those select blogs left me no choice but to cut the list by nearly half due to inactivity. Fatigue turned indifference has taken a toll.

Second, fanaticism is starting to get the better of the hardcore. Down in Unfiction (aka the center of the 1-18-08/Cloverfield universe), PEOPLE ARE GOING INSANE.

Finally, the pitiable death throws the pore losers. Here, context is important. There were two distinct types of blogs that sprang up to take advantage of the 1-18-08/Cloverfield phenomena. The first type are pure fan sites (like mine). Notice there is no advertising on this blog. Notice I do not hesitate to tell you exactly where I found the information I’m posting, even if that information is from a 1-18-08/Cloverfield blog or site that is better than mine. Notice that by doing this on blogspot it's not costing me a penny. In other words, for the fan, for me, it's not about me or my site, it's about the movie.

The second type of site that sought to take advantage of the interest generated by the Untitled JJ Abrams Project is the business model site. These are people who bought domains or started blogspots and immediately started advertising. They're in it for the money. As such, they're in competition with one another (as well as the fan sites). Some, to their credit, will link to the competition. But others won't except as a last resort (and even then, sometimes not).

But back to the point. Jordan, the owner of Project Cloverfield, lost his her mind over the weekend. Considering his her commercial motivations for running his her 1-18-08/Cloverfield site, you can guess at why he's she's so frustrated. He's She's losing market share to his her competition and this despite his her exhaustive efforts to keep his her readers in the dark about the existence of alternatives to his her shoddy and sporadic 1-18-08/Cloverfield coverage. What's worse is Jordan doesn't even get full credit for his her lackluster coverage given he's she's recruited willing slave labor to provide content for his her blog. To give you a sense of perspective, Jordan's blog was, early on, one of the three most successful 1-18-08/Cloverfield sites. But not anymore, and apparently he's she's starting to resent that it's costing his her money.

The kicker, however, is appearances are deceiving. Having commented on Jordan's outburst, I became the lucky recipient of his her editing. He She removed the link back to this blog which was imbedded in my screen name. Not a big deal. It's not like that inconspicuous link was sending any traffic here anyway. But later over the weekend, having subscribed to comments to that regrettable post of his hers, I was treated to email alerts of other comments. One in particular, by James, read:

good lord this website sucks, check a out a real website dedicated to cloverfield coverage www.cloverfieldnews.com.
But when I went to read the comment on Jordan's blog it had been edited. It now reads:

James
October 21st, 2007
at 12:35 am

I love the cock
To clarify, I had no idea the lengths to which Jordan would go to prevent his her readers from discovering that there were other sites devoted to covering 1-18-08/Cloverfield. This tactic of abusing his her editorial powers to put words in other people's mouths is, as far as I'm concerned, ugly and sick. That's not to say I don't respect a site owner's right to control the content on his or her site, but there are other ways, including simply deleting or not approving reader's comments, to manage content.

So I'm really left with no choice. Jordan and I once saw eye to eye, but now I see he's she's a nasty hypocrite. Project Cloverfield joins the very short list of 1-18-08/Cloverfield blogs dropped from the Blogroll for being repulsive.

Tags: , ,

10 comments:

Jordan said...

For all I wanted to say in a comment, I went ahead and create a new blog post just for you.

By the way, I'm a fucking chick. :P

Anonymous said...

you know...trying to start a fight on the web is like winning the special olympics...even if you win you still ride a shortbus.

not trying to specifically dig you, but why do you give two goat balls about what somebody else is doing? if your right, intelligent people will learn and leave HER site. if your wrong, then you just sound like a raving douche.

the choice is yours, but i'd think twice before sounding like a whiny bitch again.

just my 2 cents, as an independent reader of both sites.

Eddy said...

Anon: Thank you for the comment. By the by, informing readers of this blog of changes to the Blogroll and the reasons for those changes is a longstanding practice.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

same anon again...question about your retort...was the intent and purpose then of your venture to, and slamming of projectcloverfield just blog whoring? you state that by and by, informing readers about your (this) site and the changes is a longstanding practice. so, i'm not sure i get it...your long standing practice is to visit others that do similar sites, and lambaste them w/ verbal assults to let people know about your blogrole and its changes?

i'm failing to see the logic here. seems you've confirmed your not a raving douche, but a blog whoring raving uber-douche. i could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but, reading your other articles...i gotta feeling i'm not.

best of luck w/ your by and by longstanding practices, might need to pay royalties to massengale though if you continue.

Eddy said...

Hi again Anon. To help you understand what's going, I would suggest starting with the About Post.

Also, try thinking of this blog as my 1-18-08/Cloverfield observatory, a collection of tolls and filters designed to provide me with the latest 1-18-08 news at a glance. I like to think I've done an adequate job of it, and that a select crowd uses my observatory the way I do.

For that reason, I do make notes of significant changes to the design or content. Excluding a 1-18-08/Cloverfield dedicated blog like Project Cloverfield from the Blogroll and the combined feeds is such a change. By noting it, I'm informing readers of its absence. In doing this, and explaining why, readers can then decide whether or not this observatory is still worth frequenting, and whether my reasons for no longer reading/recommending a site disagree with their own.

Eddy said...

Edit: tolls > tools

cloverfieldnews.com said...

Thanks for the quote pertaining to my site "cloverfield news", even if it was changed later to "I love the cock" haha. I used to check out Project Cloverfield all the time, sometimes Jordan would be on top of stuff when I wasn't around and she always seemed nice to me, commented on my site when I missed something and I would do the same on hers. Sad to see it go, but I understand that people are getting pissed about having no information about the movie.

Don't really want to get involved with the little quarrel here, but I do enjoy this site as well, mainly for the right two columns, so keep it up. Oh, and by the way, I went to check out project cloverfield just now and Jordan's got some database issues...

James said...

Hey Hey! I made that comment on Jordans website (yes this is the "real" me) thanks for making the post, i'm just fed up with that website, it seems to get more and more unprofessional as information becomes more scarce. The sad thing is I made multiple comments on that thread, only one got through and was eventually modded, the rest were never published, kept from the public. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

HerOdy said...

@ the pissy Anon;

I dare say, you think it's reprehensible to write about the unprofessional behaviour of Jordan's site, however Eddy has been more than civil about it; and honestly, Jordan has not. If she is exposed for what she is; so what? It's a consequence of her absurd behaviour, nothing more. You can get off your righteous high-horse, and realize that the only person who looks like a raving douche is you, your ridiculous language and really super-defensive reaction to a post that is supposed to have nothing to do with you. Or does it?

Stop crying like a baby. If you don't like what Eddy wrote, go back to Jordan's site and bask in her honeyed tone. She's obviously a real class-act.

Anonymous said...

haha, NERD WAR!!!!!

Let the large vocabulary insults begin!

BTW, I think both your sites suck. It's a damn movie. Get over it.